Matthew’s heart stopped beating on the tattoo parlour table. Now, his parents hold their dying boy. But in their hands they also hold the fates of others: the promise of new lives, and death postponed. With astonishing access and remarkable intimacy, Memento Mori carries us headlong into a world of hope lost, and hope returned. An elegy to the beauty of life in the shadow of death.
A Feature Length Documentary
Written & Directed by Niobe Thompson
Executive Producers: Rosvitha Dransfeld & Bonnie Thompson
Produced by ID: Productions & The National Film Board of Canada
With unprecedented access to Canada’s busiest transplant hospital, Memento mori carries us headlong into a world of hope lost, and hope returned. Alongside surgeons at work, inside meeting rooms, and at patients’ bedsides, we witness powerful human dramas unfold, animated by the inextricable interplay between life and death.
A tour de force of verité filmmaking from two of Canada’s most acclaimed documentarians, Memento Mori grips the viewer in its emotional embrace, propelling us from moments of unexpected joy to profound anguish through a world few of us understand, but which we will all one day encounter.
A one-hour version of the feature-length film Memento Mori entitled Vital Bonds was produced for CBC “The Nature of Things” and PBS NOVA. Click here for more information.
- OFFICIAL SELECTION ATLANTIC FILM FESTIVAL 2016
- BEST DOCUMENTARY CINEQUEST FILM FESTIVAL 2017
- ALBERTA FILM AWARDS BEST DIRECTOR
- ALBERTA FILM AWARDS BEST EDITOR
- ALBERTA FILM AWARDS BEST SOUND
- Executive Producers Rosvitha Dransfeld, Bonnie Thompson (NFB), Sue Dando (CBC)
- Writer & Director Niobe Thompson
- Editors Brenda Terning & Scott Parker
- Composers John McMillan & Jonathan Kawchuk
- Cinematography Sergio Olivares & aAron Munson
- Sound Recordists Philip Dransfeld & Carey Opper
- Sound Design Johnny Blerot
- Production Manager Sandra Tober
- Production Coordinator Esther Viragh
- Production Assistant Tamarra Canu